Tuesday, April 6, 2010

On being vexed

In the last two days, my classes have all struck a distressing chord with me. In one class, we had a debate about free will. In the following class, we learned about McCarthyism and the Hollywood Ten, the guys that were put in prison for standing up for their beliefs in the constitution. Governments everywhere try to cover up controversial things. China has obvious censorship, but when history is written by the victors, we lose important information, like the bombing of Dresden in WWII. I was talking to Dr. Dezember about my final paper in her class, and I settled on the subject of how even civilians are resources used by the military. We talked about microchipping your pets, which could lead to microchipping children, and then everyone would have an RFID chip in them, and the government could track everyone all the time. In philosophy, we talked about free will (or the lack of it), and I started thinking about Descartes, and how we can't trust our senses. If we can't trust our senses, and we can't trust the media, our government, our own thoughts, the churchor even our neighbors, who can we trust? What can we do? If the only big truth is that everyone dies, it’s no wonder that people have mental breakdowns or commit suicide. I think what I said in class about control is a big driving force in our lives. In anthropology I learned about people that feel like the only thing they can control is their body, and that’s why some people get fanatical about exercise or develop anorexia. I think the search for control is a big driving force in our lives. If we quit searching for control, for ways to find sense in our lives, we lose the will to get out of bed in the morning, and civilization goes down the tubes. Even if the control is an illusion, and free will is an illusion, I think it's important that we continue to have those illusions and act upon them.

4 comments:

  1. I'm not entirely sure that if we quit our search for control we lose our will to do anything. I think that it is entirely possible for one to acknowledge their lack of control and to *not* just give up- perhaps it simply means you don't have to struggle so much with trying to make everything work. If life is outside of our control, why worry about it? Is it so bad to just let go and relax? That would seem to me to give more room for actually living your life?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, history is written by the assassins. I think that this is a quote from a famous Roman, but I'm not sure.

    Penny, I too was vexed by the "debate" that we had in Dr. Dezember's class. The "no free will / future is predetermined" group didn't have to support their argument at all with logic or proof, just that "There is no free will, everything is predetermined" -- reductio ad nauseum. Thiers was a circular argument that could never be defeated. It was a debate where we, as free-willers (as opposed to Free Willy), were bound to loose since any argument we could come up with they blithely said "predetermined" and walked off. Now we know how Socrates, Plato, and Aristotle felt about the sophists! Shoot them all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. In response to Hat's comment:

    You've pretty much hit on the core belief of Taoism -- that the world will go as it will and we have little to no impact upon how it goes, so just sit back and enjoy the ride.

    Frankly, there are times where I really wouldn't mind not being in control. Let someone else make the hard decisions, pay the mortgage, the insurance, the medical bills.

    I think that it's high time we go sit in the dandelion patch...

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete