Friday, May 7, 2010

Extra Credit

What I learned this semester:

Ontological crises abound whether we want them to or not...

As someone who is an atheist I apparently believe in nothing, which is funny since I believe in science and rationality...

Thanks to Dr. G, I will forever be looking for the philosophical meanings of movies where before I could just tune out...

There has to be some way to break out of ping-ponging between Plato and Aristotle...

The truth (big T or little t, your choice) is out there...

Overall, I enjoyed the class. I was a little vexed from time to time, but then patience was never one of my virtues. And I hope that I was able to pass some of my vexation on to the class. I have a t-shirt that reads, in Latin "Chaos, panic, and disorder...my job here is done." I hope that I was able to spread a little disorder with some of my commentary in class.

There is a book by Richard Back called Illusions. It's a slim book and can easily be read in an afternoon. I know that Dr. G recommends Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance as a good book; I recommend Illusions along with The Tao of Pooh.

I'm going to end this post with a couple of my favorite quotes from Illusions. Hopefully they will intrigue you enough to read the book; if so, then my job will be done.

"Your only obligation in any lifetime is to be true to yourself. Being true to anyone else or anything else is not only impossible, but the mark of a false messiah."

"A cloud does not know why it moves in just such a direction and at such a speed, it feels an impulsion....this is the place to go now.
But the sky knows the reason and the patterns behind all clouds, and you will know, too, when you lift yourself high enough to see beyond horizons."


"The simplest questions are the most profound.
    Where were you born?
    Where is your home?
    Where are you going?
    What are you doing?
Think about these once in awhile, and watch your answers change. "

and finally...

"Everything above may be wrong!"

No comments:

Post a Comment