Saturday, May 8, 2010

Extra Credit

I've learned how a lot of viewpoints that are common today trace back to philosophers hundreds of years ago.

I've come to the conclusion that many of us fail to understand each other, but at a basic level most of us agree on many points. George Moore was onto something: clarify the meanings of what we say so everyone knows exactly what we are saying.

I'll never again be able to just watch a movie: I'll be looking for the ontological crisis, ideas that trace back to Plato and Aristotle, and other philosophical things that I've never even recognized before.

One of the bigger things I've learned this semester is that a lot of what I perceive to be problems with the world are tied to someone, somewhere, making up a big Truth and playing on a common desire for such to gather a following. And the reason this is even a problem in the first place is because many people feel the need for some additional direction in life beyond that which they can discover and give themselves.

And lastly, while writing this I learned that abstract math (automata theory to be exact) and philosophy should never be mixed! My mind is in such a scrambled state right now...

No comments:

Post a Comment